Thursday, June 24, 2010

thin roots

I love the summertime, mostly for swimming! the bad thing about it, however, is the chlorine from swimming pools in my locs. I went swimming, a few weeks back, right after a fresh wash and retwist. big mistake. after swimming i had to wash the chlorine out. Greeeaaattt.... My roots are already thin and now I feel i'm making it worse with frequent retwisting.

My faithful members of Natural Diva World tell me not twist as much and I try to leave them alone like in the early budding days, but I have this weird obsession with each hair belonging to a specific loc because I always figured that there is not supposed to be any loose hair when you loc! I don't mind the nappy look, I just want to make sure each patch of hair knows where to go at the end of the day.

I forget at times the the whole point of locking is to let your hair be free...and now i'm putting stipulations on it's freedom. Mature Lockheads are so much more easy going about their locs. They mention dragonheads combined locs at the roots) and even sewed a couple together. Many have freeformed. Many only use 1 product for twisting and moisturizing.No biggie. Yet I notice those mature lockheads have the healthiest looking locs from root to tip.

I do notice many other recent locwearers who have the same problem as me. What does this mean? Have we not enough patience? Do we value the look more than the importance of locs? I can only speak for myself, but I think at times I do. Locs have become mainstream recently and I think we try to keep up with the styles more than nourishing our locs. We care about the products more than the simple things. And we are so anxious to get them long, so we can wear more styles. It's great to have versality with locs, but sometimes I loose focus on the beginning reasons for taking this step into Locdom.

So if you are having the same issue as me with thinning locs, fret not. Take this as a message from your hair that YOU CARE TOO MUCH. Be easy and don't sweat the small stuff. Don't twist locs so tight and let it air dry a little before twisting (because we twist tighter when hair is soaking wet, this can thin the roots). And if you're still worried after trying some new tactics, consult a pro!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive